In a way, my Perfect Meatball Sub is a part 2 to the recipe for Baked Garlic-Parmesan Meatballs. I always make this sub with those meatballs specifically because they perfectly hold their shape and have a great flavor. I like to make meatballs and freeze half for later. Then if Mike deserves a special lunch, I can throw together my Perfect Meatball Sub in a matter of minutes – and he LOVES it!
So first, unofficial step, is to have some fully cooked meatballs on hand. Then set your oven to broil. I think the secret to how delicious and PERFECT this sub is, would be the garlic bread. Not a lot of people really think of the bread in the sub and I think that’s a mistake! To prepare your garlic bread, just cut open and spread butter on the cut side of both the top and bottom piece, as much as desired. Shake garlic over as desired. Broil 2-3 minutes to lightly crisp. I may have left mine too long in the broiler when I was shooting my photos!
The filling is super easy. Cut each meatball in half and add to the spaghetti sauce, then heat the sauce as preferred, on the stove or in the microwave. Scoop the meatballs out of sauce and place cut side down on the sandwich. The cut side on the sandwich will keep them from rolling around on you as you eat it! This is why I cut them in half. I’ve found that those meatballs will just come right out if they’re not cut and flat! Pour the remaining spaghetti sauce over the meatballs. Place your cheese on the cut side of the top piece of bread and return the sandwich to the broiler for about a minute if you want to melt the cheese. Then you sandwich together!
Perfect Meatball Sub
- 1 French Roll
- Butter or Margarine as desired
- Garlic Salt to taste
- 1/8 Cup Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 Slice Mozzarella or Provolone Cheese
- 6-8 Garlic Parmesan Meatballs see our recipe in the above post
- Set oven to Broil.
- Prepare bread by cutting open and spreading butter on the cut side of both the top and bottom piece, then shake garlic over as desired.
- Broil 2-3 minutes to lightly crisp.
- Cut each meatball in half and add to the spaghetti sauce.
- Warm spaghetti sauce and meatballs on stove over low, or microwave for 1 minute.
- Scoop meatballs out of sauce and place cut side down on bottom piece of bread.
- Pour the remaining spaghetti sauce over the meatballs.
- Place cheese on the cut side of the top piece of bread.
- Return to broiler to lightly melt cheese, less than 1 minute.
- Upon removal, place the top piece of bread over the bottom and sandwich together!