We LOVE pizza. We LOVE pizza delivery. And you know what is a MUST with my pizza?
Where do we start? Preheating the oven to 375°. Spray down a cookie sheet with some cooking spray. Now, we make the dough. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Weirdly enough, I like to cut butter into the flour. It’s a fun step for me. Anyway, cut some butter into the flour mixture. Then add in the milk, cheddar cheese, and water. I like to use my electric stand mixer to beat the dough with a dough attachment.
Then we make the spread by mashing the butter with garlic, parsley, and parm. It smells pretty good. I like to work with the dough one half at a time to ensure I can roll it out. You can do it all in one go if you prefer. Before you roll it out, sprinkle some flour around.
Roll yourself a rectangle and then spread out half of the butter. Cut out 6 equal strips. This next part is so hard to explain in writing: fold each strip in half, with the spread facing inside, so you make a little sandwich with the spread in the center. And twist. Do this with all the dough.
Bake on the center rack for 13-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for just a few minutes before removing from the sheet.
While the Cheesy Garlic Twists
If you want to be fancy, you could garnish the dip with a sprig of fresh parsley or basil, if desired. I know I usually garnish my recipes, but I consider the dip the garnish to the twists!
So dip and enjoy!
Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @GarnishingLife.
Cheesy Garlic Twists with Cream Cheese Dip
- 2 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbs Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 6 Tbs Unsalted Butter Separated, 2Tbs Cold, 4Tbs Softened
- 4-5 Tbs Boiling Water
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- 1 - 1 1/2 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Tbs Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tsp Dried Parsley
- 4 Oz Cream Cheese softened
- 2 Tbs Cold Milk
- 2 Tbs Sour Cream
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Parsley
- Dash Dried Basil
- Fresh Parsley or Basil for Garnish
- Preheat oven 375°
- Prepare cookie sheet with cooking spray
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt
- Cut in 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Stir milk and cheddar cheese into the flour mixture
- Beat mixture with the dough attachment of a mixer while adding boiling water
- Beat until well blended and forming a ball of dough
- In a small bowl, mash the remaining butter with garlic, parsley and parmesan to make a spread
- Divide dough ball in half. Set one half aside
- Sprinkle surface with flour
- Roll one of the dough halves into a rectangle, approximately 12” x 7”
- Spread half of the butter spread over the dough
- Cut the dough into 6 equal strips
- Fold each strip in half, with the spread facing inside, and twist
- Repeat with the dough that has been set aside
- Bake on the center rack for 13-15 minutes
- Cool on sheet on wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove from pan
- In a medium bowl, mash together the cream cheese and sour cream with a fork
- Slowly add milk to cream cheese mixture while mashing
- Stir in seasonings
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh parsley or basil, if desired