Well, hello there! It’s been a while since I put up a new recipe. Between other projects and my personal mental health, I had to put my blogging efforts on the back burner. We’re trying to ramp back up, but it will be a slow grow to avoid burnout. So today, I’m bringing you the recipe for my Brown Butter & Sea Salt Rice Krispie Treats. This is a quick and easy recipe that’s sure to please children and grown ups! I call my Brown Butter & Sea Salt Rice Krispie Treats the Grown-Up Rice Krispie Treat. The browned butter and touch of sea salt really add something to it! Give it a try and let us know what you think!
To begin, prepare a 9” x 13” square pan with cooking spray or a light layer of shortening. Grease the bottom and sides evenly.
In a pot large enough to hold all of the ingredients, you’ll brown your butter. First, melt the butter over medium-low. (Set aside the butter wrapper for later.) Once the butter is melted, continue to cook and stir constantly, until foaming and dark golden brown- DO NOT take your eyes away from the pan. The butter will brown very quickly and may burn if left unattended. When the butter is properly browned, there will be a sweet, nutty aroma.
Remove from heat and add 4 ½ cups mini marshmallows. Stir until melted. Add Rice Krispies cereal and remaining 1 cup of mini marshmallows. Stir to fully coat in melted marshmallow and transfer to pan. Using the butter wrapper that you’d set aside earlier, you’ll shape the treats into the pan. Place the butter wrapper on the treats, butter side down. Very gently, apply just enough pressure to shape. If you press down hard this will crunch up the Krispies and make the treat denser and not very pleasant. If pressed just right, your treats will be light and fluffy. Work from the center and smooth out towards the edges.
To garnish, finely crush the seal salt and sprinkle evenly over the top. A meat tenderizer works wonders for finely crushing the sea salt. Lightly cover the pan and allow treats to sit for one hour before cutting. To store, I recommend cutting out each square and gently wrapping individually in plastic wrap. We’d wrapped one of our treats and put it in the cupboard for one week to test and they were still fresh! We didn’t test for a longer period as these went fast and we wanted that last one!
We like our treats soft and gooey!
Please let us know how your Brown Butter & Sea Salt Rice Krispie Treats came out! For more of our sweet treats check out our other Desserts. Leave a comment here – or tag us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter @Garnishinglife. Don’t forget to use #GarnishingLife
Brown Butter & Sea Salt Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 5 1/2 Cups Mini Marshmellows 1 Cup separated
- 5 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- Lightly grease a 9” x 13” square pan.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low. Set aside the butter wrapper for later.
- Once the butter is melted, continue to cook and stir constantly, until foaming and dark golden brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 4 ½ cups mini marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal and remaining 1 cup of mini marshmallows.
- Stir to fully coat in melted marshmallow.
- Transfer to pan.
- Place the butter wrapper on the treats, butter side down. Very gently, apply pressure to press into the pan. Working from the center, smooth out towards the edges.
- Crush sea salt as finely as possible and sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Lightly cover the pan and allow treats to sit for one hour before cutting and serving.